From Red to White! A month of hair experimenting.

8/19/2015

Hey dudes and dudettes,
image

Today I'll share what I've been up to for the past month. I decided I want to kill my hair and get it to white.
Pretty much this (kind of):


Day 1 - I used HairB4 stripper from Boots to remove the reds from my hair. It lightened my hair, some reds were left, but significantly less than before

Day 14 - Bleach 1. I waited at least "1-2 weeks" as the HairB4 instructions suggested before using bleach on my hair. It was extremely yellow so I used a semi-perm dye to tone it down. Looking back I should've used a normal toner.

Day 21 - Waited another 7 days before bleaching again. Toned it again after. UGH YELLOW

Day 26 - Got impatient so I went to the hair salon in the end and paid money I regret paying when they promised me a 'white' result and I walked out with what you see on the bottom right above.

Now, what most hairdressers never told me (yet always accepted to take my money and do it) is that I cannot get my hair to white, because my natural hair colour is pretty dark. So this is literally as far as it gets. Needless to say, I was a bit pissed considering I just bleached my hair 3 times for nothing.

Or I thought it was nothing.image

Then I kind of fell in love with the blonde. The one after the second bleach to be more precise. After I give my hair a well deserved break, I'm thinking of using L'oreal Majiblond 900S to go Babydoll blonde


What I learned:


  • L'oreal Quickblue Bleach Powder is the best bleach money can buy. Also when you bleach you need shitloads of bleach. Cover every single hair in that stuff. By the time you're done it'll feel like you have rocks instead of hair. 
  • Wella toners are the best toners, especially the Wella T18 White Lady for white. It made my hair completely gray (but I forgot to take a pic while I had it because I wasn't a big fan of it...)
  • Whoever said you can't pull off blonde if you're pale and don't tan is a fucking liar. 
  • Shea Moisture (also on Amazon) is an incredible brand for hair products that'll moisture your hair like nothing else.
  • Clariol Shimmer Light Shampoo and Conditioner is the best toning set to cool down your yellows. Pretty much as good as that Wella toner, but less damaging.


How do I know all this? Research and trial and error. I spent A LOT of money buying a lot of things this month (and not just this month) - looking back, it would've been cheaper to just get it done in the salon..... wait no. Not really. I read over 40 different blogs and forums with results using different products and came to the conclusions on which to buy from that. My only regret is wasting that money at the end thinking they can make it white, when I failed at it. For anyone who wants to get white hair: YOU CAN ACHIEVE IT by doing everything I did above, maybe even with 2 bleaches instead of 3 and just the Wella toner, but YOU MUST HAVE NATURALLY LIGHTER HAIR. It doesn't matter if you've been dying it forever and it's been bleached. There's only that much colour you can remove from your hair. Such is life



I hope this was useful and hopefully you guys can learn from my mistakes. If you have dry, damaged hair, do yourself a favour and get the Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter shampoo. It's sulfate-free, organic, super rich, maybe a bit too heavy for some people, but if your hair needs moisture - it'll thank you for this. It's colour-safe and not tested on animals.
image


What have you been doing to your hair recently? Thinking of experimenting? I can help! Let me know your troubles in the comments below~


I'm still quite happy to have bleached and toned my hair so many times over a short period of time and still heave pretty good, somewhat healthy hair. I barely see a difference.





P.S.: There's this iPhone app called HelloTalk that connects you with people who want to learn your language and they can teach you theirs. It's pretty much the best thing I've seen ever for studying a language. I'm already improving my Japanese at the speed of light!



Disclaimer: I am not sponsored or get paid by anyone to say the things I say. I'd never lie to you guys and I don't take bribes. Ever. 

No comments :

Post a Comment